Flood Information

Home » City Departments » Public Works » Flood Information


City of Ridgeland Flood Protection Information

Ridgeland has six major creeks that flow through its city limits: Culley-Brashear Creek, School Creek, Beaver Creek, Purple Creek, White Oak Creek, and LaRue Creek. Each of these creeks is subject to overtopping its banks during heavy storms that causes flooding in the streets and yards. Some areas experience local flooding or flash flooding that is not directly associated with a creek. These pages are designed to share information and resources that you can use to prepare for and recover from a flood.

National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
The City of Ridgeland participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The NFIP makes federally backed flood insurance available for all buildings, whether they are in a floodplain or not. Flood insurance covers direct losses caused by flooding, including flooding from ditches and creeks overtopping their banks, flash flooding and from local drainage issues.
The NFIP insures buildings, including mobile homes, with two types of coverage: structural and contents. Structural coverage is for the walls, floors, insulation, furnace and other items permanently attached to the structure. Contents coverage may be purchased separately provided the contents are in an insurable building. To find a local insurance agent that writes flood insurance in your area visit

Mandatory Purchase Requirement
The mandatory requirement applies to all forms of federal or federally related financial assistance for buildings located in a Special flood Hazard Area (SFHA). This requirement affects loans and grants for the purchase, construction, repair, or improvement of any publicly or privately owned building in the SFHA, including machinery, equipment, fixtures, and furnishings contained in such buildings. Financial assistance programs affected include loans and grants from agencies such as the Department of Veterans Affairs, Farmers Home Administration, Federal Housing Administration, Small Business Administration, and Federal Emergency Management Agency. The requirement also applies to secured mortgage loans from financial institutions, such as commercial lenders, savings and loan association, savings banks, and credit unions that are regulated, supervised by Federal agencies such as the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the Office of Thrift Supervision. It also applies to all mortgage loans purchased by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac in the secondary mortgage market.

How it Works
Before a person can receive a loan or other financial assistance from one of the affected agencies or lenders, there must be a check to see if the building is in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). The SFHA is the base (100 year) floodplain mapped on a Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM). It is shown as one or more zones that begin with the letter “A “or “V.”
You can review the FIRM maps on the City’s website at, or come by the Public Works Department in City Hall at the corner of Lake Harbour Drive and Hwy 51 in Ridgeland, MS. If your house is in the SFHA, you will need an Elevation Certificate. This certificate gives the 100-year base flood elevation and the elevation of the house’s lowest floor. The City has copies of Pre-Firm and Post-Firm Elevation Certificates on file. To view these certificates click here.
Many lenders and insurance agents also have copies. It is the agency or lender’s responsibility to check the FIRM to determine if the building is in an SFHA, although the City of Ridgeland provides assistance.
If the building is in a SFHA, the agency or lender is required by law to require the recipient to purchase a flood insurance policy on the building. The requirement is for structural coverage equal to the amount of the loan (or other financial assistance) or the maximum amount available, whichever is less. The maximum amount available for a single-family house is $250,000 and for a non-residential (commercial) building is 500,000.
The mandatory purchase requirement does not affect loans or financial assistance for items that are not covered by a flood insurance policy, such as vehicles, business expenses, landscaping, and vacant lots. It does not affect loans for buildings that are not in the SFHA, even though a portion of the lot may be flood prone. While not mandated by law, a lender may require a flood insurance policy as a condition of a loan for a property in any zone on a Flood Insurance Rate Map.

Repetitive Loss Properties
A repetitive loss property is one for which two or more claims of at least $1,000.00 have been paid by the NFIP for flood loss since 1978.
The City of Ridgeland provides public information to assist residents with flood protection. The Public Works Department of the City of Ridgeland offers the following services in the incorporated areas of the city:
• Information to determine if a property is flood prone, including flood elevations or depths, and data on the history of flooding where available.
• Site visits to advise property owners on appropriate flood protection measures.
• Review and critique plans for retrofitting flood prone buildings.

As an owner of a repetitive loss property you will also receive information and brochures as they are made available to us to further assist you on flood proofing your property. For any help with the above mentioned services or information, contact Cynthia James, Sr. Civil Engineer, in the Public Works Department, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at 601.853.2027.
Turn Around Don’t Drown is a National campaign through the National Weather Service.
Each year, more deaths occur due to flooding than from any other thunderstorm related hazard. Why? The main reason is people underestimate the force and power of water. Many of the deaths occur in automobiles as they are swept downstream. Of these drownings, many are preventable, but too many people continue to drive around the barriers that warn you the road is flooded.
Whether you are driving or walking, if you come to a flooded road, turn around don’t drown. You will not know the depth of the water nor will you know the condition of the road under the water.
For more information on Turn Around Don’t Drown, click here:

Citizens Guide To Flood Protection Measures

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

Red Cross Flood Safety Checklist

Real-Time Gage Information