Frequently Asked Questions

Home » City Departments » Public Works » FAQ


Q. What holidays will be observed?

A. New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. If your collection day falls on one of these holidays, your waste collection will occur on your next scheduled day. Waste management will publicize changes in the collection schedule due to the observance of the above holidays.

Q. How do I prepare garbage for collection?

A. All waste must be placed in containers of bags no greater than 35 gallons in capacity. Containers or bags cannot weigh more than 60 pounds. All waste must be out by 7:00 a.m. and placed within 5 feet of the curb in front of the residential unit being serviced.

Q. Does the City offer limb pick-up?

A. Yes, the City offers a large limb and yard debris pick-up. Please put all large limbs and yard debris at the edge of the yard close to the street. City employees will not come on private property to pick up any yard debris.

Q. When is my limb pick-up day?

A. Each area of the City receives large debris collection service on one Monday per month. You may call the Public Works Deparment or view the Large Debris Route Map.

Q. Will Waste Management pick-up my limbs?

A. Yes, Waste Management will pick-up limbs if they are 5 feet in length or less and placed in small bundles along the edge of the road on second pick-up of the week.

Q.How do I prepare my yard waste for collection?

A. In order for yard waste to be collected on your regular garbage collection day, it must be in bags, containters, or bundles. Tree trimmings and branches must be cut into lengths of no longer than 5 feet and be no more than 8 inches in diameter and weigh no more than 60 pounds. Properly prepared yard waste should be placed at the curb with your regular garbage and will be picked up by the second collection day. If your yard waste is too large for Waste Managment to collect, you may benefit from the City’s large debris collection service.

Q. Where can I get a recycle cart?

A. You may contact Public Works at 601.853.2027 if you do not have one or if a previous one is missing.  Previous resident occupants must leave the container for the next resident occupants.

Q. Can I recycle glass?

A. No, at this time we are not recycling glass.

Q. Will Waste Management pick up large items such as furniture, TVs, water heaters, etc.?

A. Yes, Waste Management will pick up these large items on the second pick-up of the week. You will need to contact the public works department, 601.853.2027, the day before you place the item on the road to be picked up. If it is an item containing Freon, please have Freon removed and the appliance tagged by a certified technician.

Q. How do I dispose of household hazardous waste products?

A. The City does offer a Household Hazardous Waste Day in May at Holmes Community College. Also, these items can be taken to Jackson Environmental Service Center located at 1708 Terry Road. Jackson Environmental Service Center can be reached at 601.960.1193.  Household Hazardous Waste General Information

Q. How do I dispose of items containing Freon (refrigerators, freezers, air conditioner units, etc)?

A. The Freon and/or  refrigeration systems must be removed by a certified technician and tagged showing proper removal and handling of material. Once this has been completed the units will be collected along with your yard waste by the second collection day. If you have further questions, please call our Customer Service Department at 601.922.9647

Q. Does Waste Managment collect hazardous waste such as moror oil, gasoline, paint, and paint cans?

A. No, Waste Management does not collect hazardous waste, but they will collect paint cans which have the lid removed and contents are dry.

Q. What happens if my garbage or recycling is missed?

A. Please call the Public Works Department at 601.853.2027 to complain about missed pick up. To avoid being missed, please have recycling and garbage out by 7:00 a.m. on your designated pick up day.

Q. Why is my water off?

A. Is your bill current? Could you possibly have a water leak at the meter? Call the Public Works Department. The City could possibly be doing work in your area which may result in a main valve being shut off in order to do some repairs.

Q. How do I determine which side of the meter a leak is on?

A. If no water is being used at the home and the dial is still turning, leak is on the homeowner side because water is flowing through the meter. If water is shut off at meter and leak stops, it is also on the homeowner side. If water is shut off at meter and still running, it is on the City side. Call the City for further information.

Q. Is street sweeping provided?

A. Yes. Streeed sweeping is provided by the Public Works Department when needed. During the fall, all streets in the city are swept every week. During the remainder of the year, streets are swept a minimum of two times per month.